Saturday, January 26, 2008

It's better to give than receive...




Meet Juan Jose Blandon Aguilera. He is a butcher in Nicaragua. He was looking for someone to lend him money to expand his butcher business. I, along with 23 other people, helped him in that endeavor today. I have found a new addiction.

I have always been one to give to the needy. I love doing it. I currently support 5 girls in the following countries: Uganda, Peru and Colombia. That's through a fabulous organization called Compassion. (www.compassion.com) If you are looking to sponsor a child, it's by FAR the best group I have found. In 2007, over 87% of the contributed funds went directly to the children. Also, if you make birthday or "family" gifts, 100% goes towards the child/family. It's amazing. It took me YEARS to find an organization that didn't take the majority of the money and pay their administration. If you want to know more about my "girls", please just holler! I have pictures and TONS of letters from them. They are all WONDERFUL!

Now...back to Juan Jose.

I was watching a program today, I think on Fox News, and came across either a story or a commercial that was right up my alley.

www.kiva.com

It was a microlending program. It's NOT a money-maker for the lender. It's a way of donating to impoverished countries, by helping to stimulate their economy. You are able to pick and choose who would like to assist in their endeavors. You are told how much they need, what time frame they will pay it back in, what the money will be used for, and how reliable they are for repaying their debts. You are able to donate anywhere from $25, all the way up to fulfilling their entire need. Your choice. There is not an absolute that you will receive your whole investment back, but you do enough homework, and your chances are very high. All you need is a PayPal account, and you are off assist the human race in an amazingly technological way.

Perfect for me...the techno-geek.

No, I'm not a tree hugger. I've been known to donate here and there. Basically, I let my heart tell me where I need to put my money. I definately don't make a lot of money on my own anymore, but the money that I DO take in, I enjoy rolling back into others. I am a Republican...lol...for those of you who may be wondering. But, I do have my liberal areas.... This happens to be one of them.


Do me a favor...check out their website. You don't have to sign up. You don't have to give more than $25. You don't even have to give to more than one person. Invest in one human life. When they pay that back, invest in another. However you see fit. Just take a look. It's a pretty cool deal. Plus, anything that you donate directly TO Kiva, is tax deductible, as they are a non-profit organization.


Seriously......as much as I loved receiving my care package yesterday, I am so at peace when I am assisting others.


Besides, if I can lose $800 in the ocean, I can at least support mankind a little. True?

No comments: