Tuesday, January 22, 2008

At the close of the day...

Here I sit, at the close of the day, still perplexed as to what to write about. Something personal and witty, just would not do justice for the shining star that was lost today.

Heath Ledger, at the tender young age of 28, was found dead this afternoon. A terrible shock to many of us around the globe. Although I must admit, I did not closely follow his career, I came to admire his work after I watched "Brokeback Mountain". After that performance, I realized how many other films I had seen him in, and enjoyed his acting.

I heard about his death this afternoon, while I was playing solitaire at an online gaming community that I belong to. Someone came in, greeted a friend, and then said how sad she was at the recent news of his death. Finding this hard to believe, I did a search on the Internet for his name...and came up blank with information about his death. I then went to MY home news page, and saw nothing. Last option, I went to CNN.com, and it was breaking news. My heart sank.

You know, watching all of the news leak out, minute-by-minute, I realized why I hated working in the American news so much. All of the gossip starts, when it seems he was barely gone from this earth. Rumors here and there started surfacing. The one that got me was how he was found naked, face down on a bed in Mary-Kate Olsen's SoHo apartment. This turns out, was a fantastic load of crap. I think the media is so blood-thirsty, that they don't even give the deceased the dignity and respect of getting decent sources. It seemed that as fast as they could report that, they had to spin it backwards. What do these agencies have to gain from such a rush to report?

Then, there was the rumor of pills being scattered around his body...which the NYPD debunked this evening. I think we, as the general populous, would be best off in waiting to find out the TRUE details, rather than to have dramatic FALSE ones fed to us in a timely matter. Just my humble opinion.

Heath, you will be missed greatly. You leave behind a bright light that had so much power behind it...and, you left behind a little daughter who can never replace you. May God rest your soul. The details are not of importance to me, I am just saddened at your leaving us.

I hope, tomorrow, to share a "lighter" message.

May God bless you and keep you safe. Whether you are friend, family or just a reader who stumbled upon my blog...know that you are loved.

No comments: