Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Poor little Theodore Brutus....

I wish I had a picture of Theodore Brutus. Actually, we all call him "Teddy".

Teddy is my 5 lb. Yorkie. He got terribly sick last night/early morning (it was VERY dark outside.....dark-thirty, as I call it). Then, when I went to take the girls to school, I called out to him...no answer. I feared that my hyper-active little guy may have passed in the night, as I could not find him anywhere. Last week, I starting crating our two male dogs. Teddy hasn't really been too keen on it. Tino seems to really like it. I opened up Teddy's crate during the night, so that he could freely get out and walk around our room if needed. I didn't want to tell Alyssa, right before school, that I was afraid that we may have "lost" him. My last ditch effort was to check the crate that he hates so much. Sure enough, there he laid the whole time we were calling him. That was my first signal that something was terribly wrong.

Once I got home from running the kids to school, I took a closer look at him, and watched how he acted. He was VERY lethargic. Wouldn't eat. Wouldn't take any water. As the day passed, I was becoming more and more concerned about him. The little doggie that bounces around like Tigger, wasn't moving at all. The little doggie that HATES being held, was doing nothing but cuddling. He was being the dog that I REALLY wanted...but, I knew he was sick. That made all enjoyment of him NOT being hyper, null and void.

Well, I called the vet to get their feeling about it all. They felt that because of his small size, he should be seen right away. I got him into the vet this afternoon. A very nice Dr. saw him and felt that his pancreas was possibly inflamed and irritated (pancreitis). Doc recommended hospitalization. So, my baby boy is in the pet hospital tonight, being fed through an IV through the night and into tomorrow. I wish I could just hold him and let him know that I am there for him. But, I can't. I hope they keep him sedated enough that it doesn't really phase him.

The vet left a message on my cell phone and said that his blood work was within normal limits. His white blood cell count was slightly elevated, but he felt that was due to inflamation, and not infection. They also did a "SNAP" test, which specifically tests the pancreas and its function. He said that was slightly elevated, but not enough to worry him. If nothing else, doc said I caught it right at the onset.

Plans are that they will try to feed him a special wet food tomorrow. They will give him a grape-sized portion, and if he keeps it down, then two hours later, they will give him another grape-sized portion. Hopefully, by tomorrow evening, he will be joining our family again.

All I know is that he will be sleeping in bed with me once he comes home. I miss him. I didn't think I would ever say that...but, I do.



On a brighter note, tonight was my first night back at church teaching the "Puggles" group. They are a bunch of precocious 3 year olds...and I love them dearly! My class has 5 kids registered. The leader of the program felt that would be enough for a teacher on her own. THANK GOD!! Three of the kids are VERY active boys. They keep me hopping!! Tonight though, I just had 3 kids. Flu season hit the other two. Plus, I had my mom with me. We did the normal class stuff...coloring, movie, craft...but, tonight, we also took a walk outside to watch the "moon disappear". Unfortunately, we only caught the beginning of the lunar eclipse, as their attention lasts only so long...and it was COLD outside!! Regardless, it was nice to be back.


Watched ELIZABETH: THE GOLDEN AGE.....TWICE yesterday. I just LOVE that movie!! You've GOT to watch it!! Also...look into who sat in the thrones after Queen Mary of Scots and Queen Elizabeth I. Then...look into their lineage. OMG!! It's QUITE the spider web of inbreeding! My family (mother's side) is said to be related to Mary Queen of Scots....so, THAT explains a lot!! HAHAHA On some of the websites that I was looking at (www.englishhistory.net), they had accounts from the day that Mary was beheaded. VERY intersting. I always thought that Elizabeth had ADAMATELY called for her cousin Mary's beheading. Not so. If you don't know the story already, I shall let you investigate it for yourself. (I ADORE researching stuff!!)


Anyways....long day for me. Long day tomorrow, also. I think I will play a little pogo.com, and then call it a night.


JoAnn...you asked for video of the doggies....now with all of this happening to Teddy, I will MAKE SURE that I get that video and post it up on YouTube once he's home and back to his usual self!!


Have a great evening, everyone!!

No comments: